Friday, October 10, 2008

Things That Must Stop, Part 1

I've noticed that lately, during sporting events, when a network wants to flash back to a certain date in the past, like the last time one team beat another, it will bring up a list of cute things that were going on at this certain date. The cutest of all is: "Gas was (insert price) a gallon." One announcer chuckles, then the next one chuckles, and then they all stumble and bumble over each other to see who can make the first wise crack about how high gas prices affect us all: "Heck, I was on my way to the stadium today and..."
I get it: Gas prices affect everyday life. Everybody needs gas, so these jibs and jabs tickle thighs everywhere; shitty gas prices are something we can all unify behind and complain about. But good Christ, enough is enough. Come Election Day, fuck health care and mortgages: I'll vote for whoever outlaws silly, overused quips about high gas prices.

No comments: